Wednesday, January 23, 2013

5 Underrated TV Shows

I just decided to do this post since I've realized that a lot of better television shows are flying under the radar while other, entirely awful shows seem to soar.  That is not to say that many of the shows that get very high rating don't truly deserve them, because there are plenty I find worth watching that have a good bit of popularity.  Some of my favorites being Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, and Once Upon a Time.  With that said, some of the ones on this list I would rank above some of those just mentioned.  Here goes my list:


5.  The Riches

With a superb cast, better than average writing and a suspenseful plot, this show should have been a shoe in for gaining major popularity.  With Minnie Driver and Eddie Izzard as the lead roles, the premise involves a family of wandering con artists that hit it big in stealing the identities of a wealthy family.  There is plenty of drama to go around as their former gang of gypsies find out what their doing and want in on it.  Sadly this show was cancelled, but it just goes to show how some gems can slip through the cracks and disappear forever.


4.  The Big C

I overlooked this show for a while because the title had me assuming it was one of those melodramatic 90210 type of programs.  I came to find out that the title "The Big C" refers to cancer, which the main character (played by Laura Linny) is diagnosed with in the first episode.  Stage 4 melanoma to be more specific, so with little time left to live, it shows how her life is turned upside down and changes many of her relationships with family members and friends.  Laura Linny does a great job holding together a very diverse cast of unique characters, from her homeless brother to her childish husband, and even though this show has such a dark premise, it manages to stay upbeat and humorous, in between all of the suspense they manage to build about what is going to happen next.  This show is still going, and has decent reviews depending on where you look to find a review, I just don't feel like there is much buzz going around, since until I decided to start watching it, I'd never heard anyone talking about it.


3. Shameless

If the mere mention of sex, alcohol or drugs makes you cringe then this is probably not the show for you, on the other hand, even though this show pushes every limit it can think to, and portrays every taboo imaginable, it does it in a very inventive way.  You'll forget that William H. Macy is playing the father "Frank" because he does a damn good job of getting into character.  He is a drunk that is either always at the bar, or passed out on the floor, leaving his huge house full of kids to basically raise themselves.  I've got to tip my hat to these writers because not only is every episode original without feeling repetitive in the slightest, they find a way to build these completely unique three dimensional characters and involve each and every one into a cohesive storyline which is not an easy task when you're dealing with such an immense cast.  Many shows take several seasons to reveal the unique traits that make each character an individual, but this is not one of them.  I don't mean to say that this show is unpopular or even has low ratings, I just believe it deserves to be talked about more and more.


2.  New Girl

If you didn't already know Zooey Deschanel was hilarious then there's probably something wrong with you, but if you did and haven't checked this show out yet, then shame on you.  This show gets decent ratings and is pretty popular to my knowledge, but I think it deserves to be one of the main comedies that people talk about, it should be right up there with Modern Family, The Big Bang Theory, and How I Met Your Mother.   If you haven't watched it and decide to start from the beginning, don't get too attached to the character named "Coach" as he is only in the pilot episode.  Zooey plays the eccentric and nerdy "Jess" a school teacher that decides to turn her life around when she catches her boyfriend cheating, and ends up moving in with three guys.  The cast is hilarious, the writing is phenomenal because it is definitely fresh comedy, but if you were addicted to the show "Friends" there are actually a good bit of subliminal references to different episodes, just like with How I Met Your Mother.  Each character stands out, and like I said about Shameless, after a few episodes you'll feel like you know them all individually.  I haven't watched a single episode that hasn't left me literally laughing hysterically.


1. The River

Yes, this Stephen Spielberg produced show was cancelled after one season because of ratings, but my question is why?  While shows like Dancing With The Stars and American Idol thrive, masterpieces like this aren't even given a chance, I just don't understand.  The story begins when a famous television personality known for exploring the wilderness goes missing in the Amazon, and a reality show/rescue mission is sent looking for him.  To me this paranormal program feels like Lost meets The Walking Dead, and deserves to be ranked right up there with both of them.  Every episode will give you goosebumps and leave you in suspense, a talented cast, and excellent writing all gone to waste.  If you missed this then do yourself a favor and go watch it now.

1 comment:

  1. I regularly watched these two shows, that I like , one is "The River" and other "New Girl"

    ReplyDelete