Monday, November 19, 2012

Less Mainstream Social Networking Sites

Tonight I only have a couple of links for you, but hopefully you'll find that they are well worth checking into. Many decades ago (okay, so more like 7 years) I had a myspace page that I rarely ever used. When Facebook came around I didn't see what all the hype was about, and to this day I only gave in once to make an account. I deleted it within 10 minutes, nothing against it, it's just not for me. But since starting this site, I made a Twitter page which eh, I guess it's okay, and I've been trying out a few other sites. Here are a few, either lesser known, or at least completely original takes on social networking sites that I've found.

Squidoo

I must say, the reason I haven't been able to put much time into making posts lately is, I've become addicted to Squidoo. Hard to explain in a few sentences, but I'll give it a try. On squidoo you can make a blog, or a site, but on squidoo it's called a lens. You gain points for everything you do, from making a new lens, to adding pictures, to liking other's pages, to taking polls, and the list goes on. The points add up until you level up, kinda like a video game, and when you reach a new level you unlock stuff, like different features/modules/themes. You can also gain trophies for doing different things, like viewing a certain amount of other people's lenses, or making a certain amount of lenses. Another cool thing about Squidoo, is you can sell merchandise that's on Amazon.com from your lens, and you make a certain percentage anytime something sells. Here are a few of my lenses to give you a taste of what it's like:

The Nothing is False Lens

Free Online Game Reviews

Who Would Win? (This one is still a work in progress.)

Some other interesting social networking sites

Hubpages.com

I've actually not had much time to check this one out, but I hear it's a lot like Squidoo, maybe by the next post I'll have an update for you. From what I hear Hubpages might be a tad bit darker.

Zurker.com

This one is a lot like Facebook, but it's still in it's beta phase, and you need an invite to join. Fear not, the link above is actually an invite provided by yours truly, and signing up is simple and free. So what's the difference that makes me jump aboard the Zurker bandwagon? Well the site is user owned, you sign up for free, there's no investment required, but by referring people you earn shares in Zurker. What's the catch? There is no catch, it's simply a brilliant marketing plan to make Zurker the next big thing. What's the big deal about getting free shares? Well if Zurker becomes even a tiny fraction of the size Facebook is now, that means you could make quite a lot of money just by spreading the word and inviting friends. See you there!

Pinterest.com

Unless you've been residing under a rock, you probably know what Pinterest is already. For those that don't know what it is, it's basically a place to share pictures, not pictures of yourself, but pictures of everything from landscapes, to bizarre animals, to mouth watering recipes, to cute animals to hilarious meme's. If you know what it is and haven't tried it out, I recommend it, I'm willing to bet after spending 5 minutes on it, you'll be hooked. Go on, give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment